Quantcast
--
800-468-6564

Columbus Visitors Center

Visitors Center crowd and Chihuly print
Visitors Center, from west
gift shop with ceramics
  • 506 Fifth Street
  • 1864, James Perkinson
  • 1995, renovation and expansion by Kevin Roche, Dinkeloo and Associates; Jack Curtis, landscape architect
  • Stop in for maps, brochures, and answers to all your questions! Free restrooms are available, downstairs. Ask to see the free videos shown on demand. And, check out the large gift shop.
  • The Visitors Center was the 1864 home of John Storey, who owned a mill that operated in the multi-story brick building to the southwest, across the street. The Visitors Center building has been used as a lodge for the order of Red Men, a furniture store, a Boy’s club, and newspaper offices. 
  • In 1973, Xenia Miller oversaw the renovation of the home to become a visitors center, when Columbus had become a destination for architecture enthusiasts. 
  • The north side of the building was added in 1995 by Kevin Roche. His seamless addition repeated the original design, a technique known as adaptive reuse. 
  • A video overview of the gift shop (1:08)
  • The “avenue of the architects” (4:56)

Visitors Center

  • tap map for directions