First Financial - Deborah Berke

83 – Fire Station 3

William Burd is a Columbus architect who has designed several fire stations as well as other buildings around the area.

The exterior features bright graphics and large towers resembling the nearby Fodrea Elementary School. The two-story building has a hose-drying tower in the rear and a glass enclosed tower in the front with a visible fire pole.

The architect added a playful touch with a visible fire pole so the neighborhood children could run and watch the fireman sliding down the pole when they heard the fire alarm sounding. The fire pole is the main focal point of the design, accented by the red brick and the super-graphic numeral 3.

A cylindrical form is repeated in the towers and horizontally at the main entrance and the engine bay doors. The curves at the entrances and engine bays are accented by the red glazed brick contrasting with the grey fluted masonry block walls.

McDowell Educ. Center - Warnecke

84 – McDowell Education Ctr.

John Carl Warnecke designed McDowell in 1960 as an elementary school with four cluster buildings that had three classrooms each and connecting open-air walkways.

The site was named a National Historic Landmark (one of the seven in Columbus) in 2000 for its development of modernism in architecture and landscape architecture.

McDowell was the first school built under the “park school” concept, with adjacent land and the building utilized year-round as a neighborhood playground.

Originally designed to serve elementary students, the school’s flexibility was demonstrated by the 1983 conversion to an adult education facility.

The school is named in honor of Miss Mabel McDowell (1880-1961), an elementary school teacher in Columbus for 25 years.

Take me to McDowell.
McDowell Educ. Center - Warnecke

85 – Cummins Inc. Tech Center

Designed in 1968 by Harry Weese, Cummins Technical Center incorporates two connecting buildings, a six-story, window-wall office building for the professional engineering staff, and a two-story research and engine testing facility.

The research and engine testing facility utilizes modular, pre-cast concrete panels to create the exterior curtain wall, a method used in several other Cummins buildings. In contrast, the concrete of the six-story office building was poured floor by floor. Oblong pre-cast concrete forms provide sun screening for the glass windows in each floor. The office interior features formed pre-cast concrete which incorporated the mechanical and electrical systems.

The area around the Technical Center has been landscaped by Dan Kiley with trees, grass, pools, and plantings. Kiley also designed the rows of London Planetree lining Central Avenue (Haw Creek Boulevard) and the plantings around the Cummins Columbus Engine Plant and the former Cummins Health Center, seen across the boulevard.

McDowell Educ. Center - Warnecke

86 – Fire Station One

The original Fire Station One was designed by Columbus native Leighton Bowers in 1941 (one year before First Christian Church) in the Art Deco style, with curved glass corner of buff brick, limestone, glass, and stainless steel.

Bowers (1894-1944) practiced in Fort Wayne until he moved to Indianapolis in 1933, where he served as an architect for the state of Indiana. His Fort Wayne designs include the NIPSCO Office Building and the Gaston F. Bailhe House.

The addition and renovation was completed by Columbus architects James K. Paris and Nolan Bingham in 1990. Michael Van Valkenburgh contributed the landscaping design.

The 1990 addition was by Columbus architect Jim Paris, who maintained the horizontal lines and two colors of brick.

The station also houses and maintains the first diesel engine fire truck in the country – you can often see it parked in one of the Washington Street bays and is a popular feature at special community events.

Return to the mobile map directory.