Quantcast
--
800-468-6564
First Baptist wooden beams
woodwork in First Baptist Church, by Harry Weese

THE HARRY WEESE LEGACY IN COLUMBUS

Harry Weese
1915 – 1998

Chicago architect Harry Weese (1915-1998) designed more buildings in Bartholomew County than any other architect in the 1950s and 1960s. It was his design for Lillian C. Schmitt Elementary that laid the early foundation for the Cummins Foundation’s architectural program. The program was formalized in 1960 when Chicago-based Weese designed what is now known as Northside Middle School.

Weese attended MIT and Yale Schools of Architecture, graduating from MIT in 1938. After graduation, he was awarded a fellowship in city planning at Cranbrook Academy in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. After a stint at Skidmore Owings, and Merrill and a tour of duty in the Navy, he returned to SOM. In 1947, he opened his own firm, Harry Weese Associates.

His buildings in the county are well-recognized landmarks. They include:

  • Cummins Columbus Engine Plant
  • Cummins Inc. Technical Center
  • First Baptist Church
  • First Financial Bank – Eastbrook
  • Hamilton Ice Center
  • Hope Visitors Center
  • Northside Middle School
  • Otter Creek Clubhouse
  • Schmitt Elementary School

Learn more about his Columbus buildings on the Guide to the Architecture page

Harry Weese projects

Cummins Columbus Engine Plant

Cummins Inc. Technical Center

First Baptist Church

First Financial Bank - Eastbrook

Hamilton Ice Center

Northside Middle School

Otter Creek Clubhouse

Schmitt Elementary School

Hope Visitors Center

See the Weese
project board
on Pinterest