The Avenue of the Architects
Click links for more info on the sites…
Visitors Center expansion, Kevin Roche, 1995
Design Architect: Kevin Roche
Kevin Roche John Dinkeloo and Associates – Hamden, CT
Associate Architect: Todd Williams
Todd Williams & Associates, Columbus
Landscape Architect: Jack Curtis
Jack Curtis Curtis & Associates – Monroe, CT
Interior Designer, 2011 renovation: Jonathan Hess
Browning Day Mullins Dierdorf – Indianapolis
The original 1864 Italianate house was the home of John V. Storey. When the Columbus Area Visitors Center was established in 1972, the house was renovated by Bruce Adams for its new use. In 1995, Kevin Roche created an addition that skillfully matched a new gift shop, display areas, restrooms, and basement with the existing structure. A two-story bay window with an open stairway behind connects the old and the new.
The visitors center is the starting point for Columbus architectural tours, including the Miller House and Garden tour. Video presentations tell the story of Columbus’ famous architecture and its value in creating a better community.
In 2011, Jonathan Hess began renovations inspired by the interior design of Alexander Girard to provide a more expansive presentation and waiting room. Completed in 2012, the new space featured modern furniture by Herman Miller.
The landscaping for the visitors center includes zelkova trees planted along Fifth Street and aristocrat pears on Franklin.
Addition and renovation costs were supported byXenia S. Miller, Clementine Tangeman, The Heritage Fund of Bartholomew County, and The Cummins Foundation.