QUICK LINKS TO THE BUILDINGS – IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER
New Brownsville Bridge at Mill Race Park, 1840
Mill Race park, Columbus
The New Brownsville Covered Bridge is the focal point of a beautiful circular pond in the award-winning Mill Race Park, created by the legendary landscape designer Michael Van Valkenburgh. The hundred-foot bridge is the only long-truss structure in Indiana and it can transport you all the way back to 1840, when it was built to cross the East Fork of the Whitewater River near Brownsville. The bridge is a stop on The Indiana Covered Bridge Loop, where you can connect with this fascinating chapter in American history. The Loop will take you to nine covered bridges, transporting you to another time revealing the beautiful countryside in Southern Indiana. The bridge is also, of course, the ideal backdrop for your Facebook and Instagram posts!
Yelp reviewer Richard R. reminds us, “It is one of the oldest covered bridges in the state and a great lesson to us all that, with a little love and care, many things can, and will, continue to stand the test of time. The marriage of this bridge to its new location at Mill Pond is poetic. Something old (the bridge itself), something new (the beautiful park), something borrowed (taken from another county), and something blue (the serene pond below it). Indiana, you are definitely the girl next door that I never noticed, but I see you now. Thanks for taking the time to restore so many of your amazing covered bridges and capturing my attention.”
301 Washington, J. Irwin Miller's office, 1848
301 Washington Street, Columbus
The Columbus landmark at 301 Washington Street houses the second-story office of J. Irwin Miller, who was the President and Chairman of Cummins Engine Company, President of Irwin Union Bank, and President of the Irwin-Sweeney-Miller Foundation, as well as being involved with many other business interests and national associations. The Victorian building was originally built in 1848 and repurposed in 1881 by his great-grandfather, Joseph Irwin, as Irwin’s Bank.
Mr. Miller’s private office features a built-in desk and credenza, a horizontal wood wall accent with storage behind, a hidden television set, and a recessed wall clock. The office chairs were custom-produced with atypical bronze bases by furniture maker Herman Miller.
Alexander Girard, the interior designer for the Miller House, was also an architect who was responsible for the facade renovation and interior design of 301 Washington. The exterior includes a recessed entry with white ceramic tile walls, globe light fixtures in the coffered ceiling, and a distinctive, projecting gold entry vestibule with side doors. Simplicity of design is reflected in the remodeled interiors that feature rounded corners, clean lines and attention to details, such as light switches that are hidden behind curtains.
The second floor offices showcase strong lines and subtle colors. The ceilings are a custom egg crate with uniform lighting, and the carpet was custom designed with a linear pattern. The doors are sliding wood panels. A custom open screen separates the stairs and the second floor reception area.
In 2011, Cummins purchased the building and renovated the interiors for additional downtown office space; however, the first floor entry and second floor private office of J. Irwin Miller have been preserved and are accessible for special public tours through the Columbus Area Visitors Center.
Inn at Irwin Gardens, 1864
608 Fifth Street, Columbus
From The Inn at Irwin Gardens website :
Built in 1864 by Joseph I. Irwin, Columbus banker and businessman, this Italianate design was remodeled in 1880. However, to accommodate four generations of the Irwin family, the home has been enlarged and redesigned over the years. The current mansion was the magnificent achievement of Henry A. Phillips, a Massachusetts architect, who was hired by William G. Irwin in 1910. The intricate detail of the extensive fine woodwork and moldings throughout the house are reminiscent of a European estate. The old brick exterior was covered by tapestry brick with stone trim, and several new chimneys, which are now a prominent feature of the house, were added. The roof was recovered in slate and the pitch was altered, providing for a more spacious third floor. On the east, a raised terrace was added to link the home to the adjoining Garden.
The highlight of this two-acre property is the garden, a beautiful maze based on the Casa degli Innamorati in Pompeii. Several fountains and a long pool are the focal point of a lowered sunken garden. There is a statue under the center arch of the garden house designed from a lakeside structure at the Villa of Hadrian at Tivoli, Italy. Pompeian murals accent the garden house. A tall brick wall is rounded in imitation of 16th-century gardens in Mantua, Italy. Wisteria vines on the terrace’s pergolas were planted in 1911, and continue to bloom in the spring. Only the English sundial and a Japanese bronze elephant sculpture that is a replica of one at the 1904 St. Louis World’s Fair pavilion do not follow the Italian motif.
Bartholomew County Courthouse, Isaac Hodgson, 1874
234 Washington St, Columbus
Isaac Hodgson designed the Bartholomew County Courthouse, which was completed in 1874. The Second Empire-style building stands much the same as it did at its completion and continues to serve the community well. Michael Van Valkenburgh developed a master plan for landscape plantings for the Court House Square in 1997 in conjunction with the Bartholomew County Memorial for Veterans, which is located on the courthouse square. The Second Empire-style building has been recognized as one of the most beautiful county courthouses in the state was featured on the cover of the book “The Magnificent 92 Indiana Courthouses.” Most of the original interior spaces have been preserved, including the marble and terrazzo floors, wood trim, fireplaces, and a spiral staircase. The delicate, lightweight grillwork on the three towers was added in 1971, a gift from Elsie Irwin Sweeney. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Bartholomew County Memorial for Veterans >
Cerealine Building, circa 1867
The Cerealine Building, with its gracefully-arched windows and doors, has been a part of the Columbus skyline for more than a century. The building originally was the main structure of the old Cerealine grain complex, believed to have been built in 1867. A former building to the north housed Cummins’ first factory and office for the seven years following the company’s founding in 1919. Cerealine, a dried corn product which was one of the world’s first dry breakfast cereals, and was featured on the menu of the Titanic, was made in this building.
The exterior of this historic structure, significant to both Columbus and Cummins, has been carefully renovated and is now an important part of the new office complex. The original 3,000 square feet on the ground floor have been doubled by means of a U-shaped addition which has become an employee cafeteria with views of the fountains and reflecting pond.
The Prall House, Charles Sparrel, 1891
5th & Lafayette, Columbus
Prall House was designed in the Queen Anne style by local architect Charles F. Sparrell in 1891. “This was the home of a dentist Dr. Will J. Prall who purchased the lot from the Irwin family with the provision that he build the Queen Anne style residence designed by Charles F. Sparrell that had been planned for that lot. The home was built sometime between 1891-1895 with Dr. Prall’s dentist office along the Lafayette Street side of the corner property. In the 1980s, Clementine Tangeman (J. Irwin Miller’s sister), who was living in the family mansion across the street, purchased the greatly remodeled house and restored it to the original look returning the Victorian fretwork and rebuilding a replica of the original front porch.” (from notes and documents contributed by Ricky Berkey, David Sechrest, and Tricia Gilson)
Historic Columbus City Hall, Charles Sparrel, 1895
Fifth and Franklin Streets, Columbus
Designed by Columbus architect Charles F. Sparrell, 1986 renovation by Landmarks Design Associates. Now repurposed for legal offices and apartments, the building was formerly Columbus City Hall and The Columbus Inn.
Charles Sparrel was the most influential architect in Columbus during the 1880s and 1890s, yet little is known about his personal life, other than that he arrived on the scene in Columbus around 1881. He was born in Boston in 1852, and attended a technical institute in Massachusetts, though it is not known if his studies were in the field of architecture.
He also is believed to have worked for Samuel Hege & Company lumber company as a shop foreman in 1882. Yet by 1890, Sparrell had designed not only the original Crump Theater, but also the Methodist church and numerous personal residences. By this time, he could advertise himself as an architect, and did so by claiming “school, church, opera house plans a specialty.”
Bartholomew Consolidated School Corporation, Charles Sparrel, 1896
1200 Central Ave., Columbus
The original Bartholomew Consolidated School Corporation Headquarters (formerly ArvinMeritor Headquarters) was designed by Charles Sparrell in 1896 as a four-room schoolhouse. In 1989, Ratio Architects revamped the school into a handsome headquarters, including an addition of 29,000 square feet. The school corporation purchased the building in 2004.
Fire Station 1, Leighton Bowers, 1941
1101 Jackson St., Columbus
The original Fire Station One was designed by Leighton Bowers in 1941 in the Art Deco style with curved glass corner of buff brick, limestone, glass, and stainless steel. The addition and renovation was completed by Columbus architects James K. Paris and Nolan Bingham in 1990. Michael Van Valkenburgh completed the project with his landscaping design.