Columbus is centrally located between Indianapolis, Louisville, and Cincinnati and just minutes from I-65.
The Visitors Center is located at 506 5th Street in downtown Columbus, Indiana.
The Visitors Center's satellite office, Heritage of Hope Inc. Visitors Information Center, is located in Hope, Indiana, find out more HERE.
Finding us with internet map services
- To find us and get directions from Google maps, click HERE.
- To find us and get directions from MapQuest, click HERE.
Directions from Indianapolis, Louisville, Bloomington
- From I-65 exit #68, follow SR 46E into Columbus.
- Continue on SR 46E through the stoplight at the intersection with Indiana Highway 11 and cross the red bridge in the center lane. You will see the courthouse straight ahead.
- As you pass the courthous move into the left lane.
- Proceed two blocks east to Franklin Street. Watch for the brown directional sign for the Visitors Center on your left.
- Turn left onto Franklin Street, which is a one-way street heading north.
- Continue three blocks and move into the right lane.
- The Visitors Center will be on your right, on the corner of Fifth & Franklin Streets.
- You may park behind the building - turn right into the parking lot from Franklin Street.
Directions from Cincinnati
- From Cincinnati take I-74 to the Greensburg exit #134A.
- From Greensburg follow SR 46W to Columbus for 19 miles.
- When you come to the four-way stop at the intersection of SR 46 and Hwy 9, do NOT turn south onto Highway 46; instead, continue straight ahead for 8 miles, straight into the east side of Columbus (you will be on 25th Street).
- You will pass a Marsh supermarket, then a Burger King, North High School, and then a Taco Bell. Continue on this road until you reach a stoplight at a T-intersection, which is Washington Street.
- Turn left (South) onto Washington Street and continue just over 1.25 miles, where you will be entering the downtown.
- Turn left at the stoplight for 7th Street.
- Go one block, cross the intersection of Franklin Street, and then turn right into the parking lot across the street from First Presbyterian Church.
- Visitors Center parking is at the south end of the lot.
Getting to Columbus from the Indianapolis or Louisville airports
- There are no shuttles or taxis that run between Columbus and these airports.
- Your best option is to rent a car, as it is about an hour's drive from the Indianapolis airport and about an hour and half from the Louisville airport.
- Click HERE for a free map and guide to the Avenue of the Architects, along 5th Street in downtown Columbus (opens a PDF window).
- Click HERE for a guide to downtown parking (opens a PDF window).
- Click HERE for a map of the Columbus area (opens a PDF window).
- Stop by the Visitors Center to pick up a $3 Guide to Art and Architecture, with photos and guide to locations (shown below).